According to the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA), electrical fires were the second leading cause of house fires in the United States between 2012 and 2016. Outdated wiring, bad outlets, and other common electrical problems can result in a fire. The good news is that you can catch these electrical fire hazards early.
Here are five of the most common electrical fire hazards that you can look for your home:
1. Old or Damaged Outlets
Common signs of outlet failure include overheating, cracks in the outlet covers, outdated two-prong (ungrounded) outlets and lights or appliances that no longer function correctly. Malfunction of any kind usually means that these outlets aren’t producing enough power to keep up with modern electrical devices.
2. Extension Cords
You should take precaution when using extension cords, whether it’s for short-term use or as a long-term solution. Make sure the cord is rated to handle the electrical needs of the device that is being plugged into it.
3. Outdated Light Fixtures
Just like the outlets, sometimes the light fixtures themselves can become outdated, inefficient or damaged. Flickering or dimming lights can be a common sign of a failing light fixture. Also, be sure to use the right wattage bulbs for the fixture, otherwise it could pose a higher risk for an electrical fire.
4. Space Heaters
Portable heaters, like floor heaters, space heaters, or ceramic heaters, are handy and usually designed for safety. Still, you want to be mindful about following usage instructions and careful not to place the heater too close to flammable items such as curtains, furniture, and rugs.
5. Frayed Wires
Take notice of frayed cord or any exposed wires on an electrical device that you intend to plug in. Damaged or exposed wiring can cause overheating, sparks and other problems that often lead to electrical fires.
Those are just a few common issues to look for, but sometimes the problem may not be seen by the naked eye. The wiring behind your walls is also subject to being damaged, frayed or loose. If you notice any spots on the walls that feel warm to the touch, it may be worth calling a residential electrician like Blue Apple Electric for a wiring inspection and upgrade.
If you are in need of electrical repairs, electrical equipment or wiring upgrades, contact Blue Apple Electric today for the best in Las Vegas electrical repair and maintenance services.