Motion sensor lighting is a great way to improve the safety and security of your home. If you’re considering installing motion sensor lighting, here’s what you need to know.
How Motion Sensor Lighting Works
Motion detectors can sense infrared waves (or heat waves) that radiate from moving objects. The detector will turn on the lights if it senses a warm object, such as a person, animal, or car, moving across its field of view. Motion sensor lighting can be used to illuminate garages, porches, decks, backyards, stairways, swimming pools and hallways.
Types of Motion Sensors
A passive infrared (PIR) sensor is the most common type of motion sensor used in home security and lighting systems. This type of sensor can detect heat and movement.
A microwave (MW) sensor measures the reflection of a moving object. This type of sensor can cover a larger area than PIR sensors, but is also more expensive and vulnerable to electrical interference.
Dual technology sensors may have both a PIR sensor and an MW sensor. This type of sensor is less likely to cause a false alarm.
The Pros and Cons of Motion Sensor Lighting
The benefits of motion sensor lighting include:
– No-touch activation. Children, the elderly and disabled individuals will appreciate this feature.
– Energy efficiency. Motion sensor lights shut off automatically.
– Increased safety. Motion sensor lighting may help deter home burglars.
The disadvantages of motion sensor lighting include:
– Frequent activation. The lights will turn on if the sensors detect motion, even if you don’t want them to turn on.
– Motion reliability. The lights automatically shut off if they no longer detect movement. You will need to make frequent movements to keep the lights on.
– Unwanted activation. The lights may turn on when a stray dog walks across your front yard, creating a false alarm.
To maximize the benefits and minimize the drawbacks, it’s important to carefully consider which rooms or locations you’d like to have motion sensor lighting installed and make sure the motion sensor lighting is properly installed.
Give Blue Apple Electric a call to learn more about the best motion sensor lighting brands out there and to schedule installation.