Most Las Vegas homeowners don’t think too much about checking their electrical outlets. Unfortunately, outdated outlets may not be able to meet the power demands of today’s high-tech appliances. The biggest fear is that the wiring and connections can become weak or damaged over time, which can create a serious fire risk.
According to leading Las Vegas electrician Blue Apple Electric, here are two key problems caused by old outlets:
- Can’t Provide Enough Electricity – As technology evolves, so must your electrical outlets. If you notice flickering lights or power issues with your appliances, that likely means your outlets are due for an upgrade.
- Fire Hazards – The wiring behind an outlet can degrade in as few as five years. As the connections and wires settle, it can even cause arcing and sparks, which puts your home at risk of an electrical fire.
Signs of Outdated/Damaged Electrical Outlets
There are several ways to know that your outlets may need to be replaced by a Las Vegas residential electrician near you. Blue Apple Electric suggests if you notice any of the following issues, it’s time to call the electrician for a proper electrical inspection and if needed, replacement of any and all old outlets. Here are some things to look for:
- Sparks and Heat – If an outlet is getting very hot or even producing noticeable sparks when you plug or unplug a cord, this is a clear sign that there is a serious problem.
- Lights Flickering & Electrical Malfunctions – If you notice your lights are flickering or dimming, or your appliances don’t seem to be running correctly, it likely means that the outlets they are plugged into are struggling to provide enough power.
- Cracks in Outlet Covers – Cracked outlet covers not only look bad, but they also let in extra dust and debris that can lead to electrical problems behind the outlet.
- Water Damage – Kitchen, bathroom and outdoor electrical outlets are susceptible to water damage. This can lead to shocks and potential fire hazards. Upgrade outdoor outlets with proper covers and also consider outlets with ground-fault circuit interrupters (GFCI). This will provide an extra level of safety in rooms where water can affect the connections.
It’s important to have a Las Vegas residential electrician that you can trust to help you with all your electrical needs. If you notice any of the electrical outlet issues above or have any concerns about your electrical system, contact Blue Apple Electric today.