The holidays are for good food, good company, and good times — not home emergencies. Make the most out of the season by reducing the risk of trouble with your HVAC, plumbing, or electrical system by taking the following precautionary steps.
- Complete routine HVAC maintenance.
Clean vents, test the thermostat and look for signs of wear and tear. Call Blue Apple Electric for a professional inspection and repair.
- Lower the temperature.
Cranking up the thermostat after you’ve been out all day won’t heat up the home faster. Instead, you’ll end up using more energy and heating the home hotter than necessary. Set the thermostat to 68℉ for maximum efficiency and comfort.
- Talk to your kids.
Instruct kids to throw trash in the garbage bin — not down the toilet or sink drain. If you’re entertaining guests, make sure you have small trash receptacles placed in each bathroom to minimize the risk of a clog.
- Throw oil and grease into the trash — not down the drain.
If you’re cooking high-fat or high-grease foods for the holidays, remember to let the grease cool and throw it into a bag or container before tossing it into the trash.
- Replace the air filter.
If you don’t remember the last time you replaced the air filter, then this is a critical step on your to-do list. You don’t want to breathe in dust, bacteria, and other pollutants while you’re enjoying a festive evening with family.
- Clean faucet aerators and showerheads.
Over time, mineral deposits form on faucet aerators and showerheads, clogging water flow. Use gentle cleaning agents to clear away the mineral deposits.
- Inspect electrical cords.
Look for fraying wires or any other signs of damage and safely dispose of worn electrical cords.
- Flush the water heater.
Flushing out the water heater will remove accumulated sediment and help the system work efficiently.
- Clean the garbage disposal.
Grind ice cubes and then flush them with hot water and baking soda.
- Test smoke alarms, carbon monoxide detectors, fire extinguishers, and GFCIs.
Make sure smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors are working properly by checking the batteries. Store fire extinguishers in an easy-to-reach space and test GFCI outlets.