When decorating your home for Halloween, it’s easy to get distracted by the spooky decorations and throw electrical safety out the window. But before you start putting up the lights and glowing fixtures, check out the following tips for keeping your home and guests safe.
- Carefully inspect previously used lighting for damage.
Look for frayed or cracked wires, faulty plugs, and worn out extension cords. If you see any of these signs, you may be at risk of fire. Properly dispose of the decor to prevent anyone from using it again.
- Don’t throw out the safety information included in lighting packages.
Take the time to read important safety information for each decoration and don’t throw it out. If you’re shopping for Halloween decorations, look for items that are flame resistant, flame retardant, or non-combustible. These are safe alternatives to traditional forms of decoration.
- Use decor appropriately in the right settings.
If you’re decorating the home inside and out, be sure to keep indoor decorations indoors and outdoor decorations outdoors. Outdoor decorations are made to withstand extreme temperatures (and UV rays, rain, and wind) and often require outlets that are only found outside.
- Use extension cords properly.
Make sure you are using outdoor extension cords for outdoor decoration. You can also use plastic hooks to run the cords along the wall and to prevent accidents.
Check the power requirements of all fixtures being plugged into an extension cord to ensure the cord can supply adequate power.
- Follow installation instructions.
Each electrical fixture should come with detailed installation instructions. Follow these instructions to ensure proper use and maximum safety. If you have any questions or need professional help with inspection or installation, contact Blue Apple Electric.
- Use LED lights instead of burning candles.
Modern decorations are likely to use LED lights, which are safe and energy efficient. If you’d like to light up a jack-o-lantern, use an LED candle or a flashlight instead of a burning candle to reduce the risk of fires and burns. LED lights are also less likely to cause an electrical overload.
- Install GFCIs.
Ground fault circuit interrupters (GFCIs) help prevent electrical shock that may be caused by water exposure. Reach out to Blue Apple Electric for GFCI installation and assistance with safely decorating your home for Halloween.