Electricity quite literally powers everyday life. From microwaves and lights, to cellphones and even vehicles, electricity is the energy source for most appliances and devices we use on a daily basis.
Modern devices rely on a fully functioning electrical system. But if the system starts to show any of the following signs, it may be time for professional service.
- Frequent surges
Frequent electrical surges may be caused by summer storms, damaged power lines, and even the power company. A surge occurs when there’s a huge spike in charge within the power lines, which increases the potential electrical energy and increases the current sent to an outlet. Surges that aren’t tied to lightning may indicate faulty wiring or problems with the appliance, in which case you’ll need to call Blue Apple Electric for service.
A power surge can cause serious damage to appliances and electronics. Using a surge protector can help protect expensive devices from damage caused by a power surge.
- Sags and dips
Power sags and dips are intermittent drops in voltage. Also known as “brown outs”, they typically only last a second and can cause your lights to dim without turning off completely.
Sags and dips typically occur when there are too many large appliances running at the same time. The energy required to power those appliances can place too much stress on an outdated electric panel. Or, the cause could be faulty wiring.
- Overloaded circuit
An overloaded circuit can be caused by using a 100 watt bulb in a lamp that is only rated for a maximum 600 watt bulb. In extreme circumstances, the heat from the bulb can melt the socket and insulation in the fixture wires. This could cause the wires to spark and even lead to an electrical fire.
Frequently resetting a tripped breaker could be a sign it’s time for professional electrical service.
- Lack of outlets
If you only have one outlet in a bedroom, you may be tempted to use an extension cord to power your lamp, TV, cell phone charger, and tablet. But this is not a long-term solution. You’ll need to have additional outlets installed to meet modern-day electrical needs.
- Lighting issues
If lights at home are frequently dimming, flickering, or burning out, the causes could range from frayed wiring, poor insulation, bad wiring, or too much wattage.