The meter base houses the electrical meter and protects the meter’s components from the elements. The meter base is also responsible for transmitting power from the electrical company to the home’s panel. If the meter base isn’t working properly, the home’s entire electrical system will be affected.
Reasons To Replace An Electrical Meter Base
There are a few reasons why a homeowner would need to replace their electrical meter base:
– The meter base is outdated.
With how fast technology is advancing, the meter base may no longer be up to building and safety codes. A meter base may also need to be replaced if the electrical panel is being upgraded or if the home is being renovated.
– The meter base is damaged.
If bad weather has damaged the meter base, then it may be time for a replacement. Wiring issues or loose lugs can cause overload and burning, damaging vital components of the home’s electrical system.
– The interior of the meter base is corroded.
Over time, the interior of the meter base can become corroded and need replacement.
Signs An Electrical Meter Base Needs Service
Most homeowners don’t regularly inspect their meter base, which means that problems with the meter base are usually identified by the following signs:
– Flickering lights
If lights are flickering throughout the entire house, then there may be a serious issue related to the meter box connection or main service cable connection. In these instances, it’s important to call an electrician as soon as possible to prevent a fire caused by a malfunctioning electrical system.
– Partial power outage
A partial power outage may occur when 120-volt wires malfunction. Don’t attempt to fix the wiring yourself and call a licensed electrician to identify the exact cause of the problem.
– Certain appliances won’t turn on
If certain appliances won’t turn on and all of the circuit breakers are switched on, then you may have a wiring issue caused by the meter base.
– Meter base becomes hot to the touch
The meter base should not overheat and if it does, then the cause may be a wiring issue. Be sure to reach out to a licensed electrician for an inspection and repair.